Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Microwaves
- Russell Hobbs RHM2076B (Editor’s Choice)
- Toshiba 950 W Lite MW2-AC25TF (Luxury Choice)
- Toshiba 850 W MM-MM20P (Best Value)
- SHARP YC-MS01U-S 80W (Best Manual)
- Russell Hobbs RHM1714B 700 W (Best Multi-Setting)
- Swan SM22036GRYN 800 W (Best Scandi Style)
- Russell Hobbs RHM2079A 800 W ;(Best Digital)
- Samsung MS23F301TAK (Best Easy to Clean)
- Russell Hobbs RHMM713G 700 W (Best Compact)
- Cookology 800 W Freestanding (Best Easy to Use)
What kitchen counter would be complete without a microwave oven? Microwaves are fantastic appliances that have many uses. They can make cooking easier and quicker, allowing you to cook and bake many different things. But with so many options in the market, which is the best microwave for you? As you may now realise, it can be quite confusing to choose the right microwave for you. Thankfully, this guide lists our top choices for the best microwave ovens in the UK market that could be perfect for your kitchen.
How We Compared Microwaves
To find the right microwaves, we considered multiple factors, including:
- Internal capacity
- Type, i.e. grill microwave, combination microwave, or solo microwave
- Power wattage
- Ease of use
- Timer controls
- Special functions such as auto defrost
- Size and style
Our team researched a wide range of products, comparing their features against the points above and meticulously fact-checking customer reviews. The following list is the result of a careful selection of microwaves that would suit any kitchen enthusiast’s needs.
Discover more about our process here.
Our pick for the best microwave in the UK stores is the Russell Hobs RHM2076B. This solo microwave has a stylish mirrored finish and black casing – it will look fantastic on your kitchen counter.
Also, with 800W of power, it will cook food quickly. You can also benefit from several special cooking features, including pre-programmed menus and auto-defrost.
We also like that this solo microwave is easy to clean due to its wipeable painted interior. The turntable is durable glass and can be washed in the dishwasher. The control panel and timer dial are also easy to use.
Although this is the best microwave for under £100, it is not perfect. First, the turntable may be a little unstable and could slide off its stand. Also, the door entrance is narrower than the inside of the microwave.
- It has a stylish mirrored finish and sleek black body
- The turntable is dishwasher safe, and the interior is easy to clean
- It has a range of auto cook programs with things like pizza and fish
- Large interior with a 20L capacity
- Has an automatic defrost setting based on the weight of the food
- You may find that the turntable can slide easily from its stand
- The entrance of this digital solo microwave may be narrower than the inside
This is the best combination microwave and has both microwave and oven functions. As a microwave oven combi, you can reheat, grill, cook, and defrost all in one appliance.
For quick and straightforward cleaning, the interior has an enamel cavity. You can simply wipe it with a damp cloth to remove any stains. It also has a larger 25-litre capacity to fit large dinner plates easily.
In terms of controls, it has an LED display that shows the current time and the remaining cooking time. There is also a simple dial and series of buttons to change the settings and select from the different oven and microwave features.
It is an excellent combi microwave, but it has some minor issues. For example, the touch control buttons might be a little unresponsive. Also, it has a relatively simplistic design which may not fit in with everyone’s kitchen decor.
- Combination microwave with microwave and oven function
- It also has an auto-defrost setting and can be used as a grill microwave
- The interior is made from easy to clean ceramic
- It has a decent capacity of 25L which should be able to fit larger plates
- It also has a simple and stylish black exterior casing
- Some may find the control buttons unresponsive
- You may not like the overly simplistic design of the microwave oven
The Toshiba 850 W MM-MM20P is the best budget microwave and provides simple solo microwave operation. It is an 850W microwave and has an ample capacity of 20L – you should easily be able to fit standard-size dinner plates inside.
This solo microwave also has a rotating glass turntable to ensure your food cooks evenly. We like the simplistic design of the microwave controls. The top dial allows you to select different power levels, while the bottom dial selects the time. You can choose a time up to 35 minutes.
Due to the versatility of the controls, you can also use this microwave for defrosting and reheating.
This is the best value microwave, but there are some things to consider. First, some may not like the white exterior. Also, some of the instructions regarding the controls may not be the clearest.
- Has five different power settings for greater control over the cooking process
- It also has a manual timer that can be set up to 35 minutes
- The simple glass turntable rotates while heating food for even cooking
- The control panel is simple with two control dials
- Simple manual microwave that is easy to operate and understand
- The white exterior may not be the most appealing
- The instructions may be confusing for some
If you aren’t concerned with a digital display, the SHARP YC-MS01U-S is an excellent basic microwave. It has manual controls with two simple dials. To change the time, you use the second dial – it can be set for up to 35 minutes.
Alternatively, the top dial allows you to change the power levels to cook different things like jackets, potatoes or fish.
This microwave has a 20L capacity and a power rating of 800W. The modern silver design with a large window in the door should also fit any kitchen space.
This is a great manual microwave, but you may notice that the turntable can sometimes be insecure. In addition, the door button can require extra force to push, which can be stiff.
- Has five power settings for cooking different types of frozen food and unfrozen food
- The manual timer dial can be set for up to 35 minutes
- It has a stylish silver design with matching silver dials
- It also has a simple handle-less design with a push-button door opener
- It also has a setting for defrosting food
- The turntable can sometimes be insecure
- The door button may be a little stiff at times
The Russel Hobbs RHM1714B microwave is a brilliant solo microwave that excels at automatic cooking. This is because it has multiple auto cook settings to choose from, including milk, rice, spaghetti, potatoes, fish, pizza, and popcorn.
The design also looks fantastic, and it has a stylish curved handle. You can also get it in different colours to match other Russell Hobbs appliances.
This solo microwave has a power output of 700W and an internal capacity of 17L. As a result, it could also be considered the best small microwave.
This microwave oven is not without its potential flaws, however. For example, some customers have found the casing could rust eventually. Also, it may not have the quietest operation.
- The interior is easy to clean with a removable turntable
- It has a digital timer display so you can easily see the remaining cooking time
- You can easily adjust the cooking times using the large dial
- Has different microwave power settings for effective cooking
- It also has a stylish black design with a curved door handle
- Some customers may have reported rust on the exterior casing
- It may not be the quietest convection microwave
If you want a unique microwave with a Scandinavian style, the Swan SM22036GRYN is a great option. This appliance looks fantastic as it has a smooth wooden handle and dial, and the casing is made from soft-touch materials.
Aside from the impressive design, this microwave is also functional. It has a 20L capacity and an 800W power output. You can set the timer function for up to 30 minutes, and it also has a digital clock. You can also use this microwave to defrost food due to the defrosting setting.
This Scandi-style microwave is a great option, but some may find the door too opaque to see their food. Also, the turntable can sometimes be wobbly and fall off of its stand.
- Beautiful design with a stylish wooden handle
- The 270mm glass turntable can easily fit a full-sized dinner plate
- Has six different power levels for cooking different foods
- Decent 20-litre capacity suitable for single people or couples
- The timer cooking functions can be set for up to 30 minutes
- The door may not be fully transparent
- You may find that the turntable is wobbly
If you prefer a microwave with a digital screen, the Russell Hobbs RHM2079A is a good choice. This appliance has a large digital display that can show either the current time or the time remaining for your cooking.
To control the microwave, you can use the large tactile dial and the buttons. It has a defrost setting but can also be used for reheating.
We love that this basic microwave has a child safety lock for extra safety. You can turn it on so your children cannot accidentally open the door and burn themselves.
This digital microwave is not perfect, however. You may notice that the internal light eventually stops working. Also, you could find that excess steam builds up inside when cooking.
- It has a simple button and dial operation for quick and easy cooking
- Includes a digital clock and timer
- Simple design available in several colours
- Has cooking, defrosting, and reheating functions
- The door is opened via a push-button beneath the control panel
- You might find that the light inside the digital microwave eventually stops working
- Excess moisture/condensation could build up inside
Cleaning even the best microwaves can be a pain. However, it is different if you have the Samsung MS23F301TAK microwave.
This model is one of the best stainless steel microwave ovens, with a smooth ceramic interior cavity that is incredibly easy to wipe and clean.
We also like the stylish design of the microwave. It has a smooth black casing and a large silver handle that adds some contrast. The microwave is also rust and scratch-resistant, so it should have excellent longevity.
Inside it has a 23L capacity and a power rating of 800W.
This microwave is great for healthy cooking, but you might find that the window in the door is a little dark to see through clearly. Also, it does not have an auto-defrost setting and only has a manual option.
- Has three heating points for superior heat distribution
- The smooth ceramic interior is easy to wipe
- Both the interior and exterior are also rust and scratch-resistant
- Has a range of auto cook menus for easy cooking
- It has a modern, sleek black design with a large silver handle
- The door window may be too dark to see through properly
- It may only have a manual defrost setting
The Russell Hobbs RHM713G is the best compact microwave in the UK. It has a stylish Scandi design, and it looks amazing with its matte finish on the exterior surface.
You have the option to choose from several colours. What’s more, it has a wooden effect handle and dials!
This basic microwave measures just 25.8×45.1×35.3, so it should be able to fit on any kitchen work surface. We also like that it has simple controls and is easy to clean. This is due to the removable glass turntable that is dishwasher safe.
It is an excellent mini microwave, but you may find that some of the text on the control panel can wear off. Also, some customers have found dented casing on delivery.
- Scandi style with wooden handle and dials
- Compact microwave suitable for smaller kitchens
- The painted interior is easy to wipe and clean
- The turntable is also removable and dishwasher-safe
- Simple controls with a timer, defrost function, and five power levels
- You may find that some of the control panel words rub off
- Some customers may have reported dents in the casing on delivery
Lastly, the Cookology 800W microwave is an excellent choice for the best microwave in the UK.
It is incredibly easy to use if you aren’t great with technology. It has two simple dials for operation. The top dial allows you to select from five different power levels. The bottom dial then will enable you to choose the time.
Aside from this, this Cookology microwave is also easy to clean and has a removable turntable. It also has a defrost function. In terms of power and capacity, it has a 20L capacity which should easily fit standard-size dinner plates. It also has an average power output of 800W.
You can also choose from three different colours – white, black, and silver.
This new microwave is easy to use, but some customers have reported scratches and dents upon delivery. Also, the exterior design could feel a little simplistic to some people.
- It has a large interior and turntable for cooking larger meals
- Available in three different colours – black, white, or silver
- Easy to use control dials
- Can select cooking times of up to 35 minutes
- It also has five different power levels to choose from
- Some customers may have found dents on delivery
- Some may not like the simplistic exterior design
How to Choose the Best Microwave Oven – Buying Guide
We hope you were able to choose from our list above. However, if you are still unsure which you should get, we can still help you. Choosing the right microwave can be tricky! There are so many different models available – each with its features and design. To help make your decision easier, we have created a simple buying guide below:
You must first understand that there are different types of microwave ovens; these include:
- Solo microwaves
- Grill microwaves
- Combi microwaves
Solo microwaves are essentially the basic microwave. They only have a microwave function used for cooing, heating, defrosting, and reheating.
A microwave grill is primarily used for microwaving food. However, it also has a grill setting. This means you can easily grill things like toast and crumpets.
Lastly, combination microwaves could have a microwave, conventional oven, and grill functions. These are the best microwaves in terms of versatility but are generally more expensive and sometimes larger.
Next, the power rating is also highly important. The power rating is displayed in watts. The common power levels for the best microwaves include 750W, 800W, 900W, and 1000W.
The power rating affects the heating effectiveness of a microwave oven. The higher the wattage, the quicker the microwave will heat food.
Different microwaves also have different cooking options. The standard microwave will typically have a timer control and nothing else. More advanced microwaves may have a timer dial and a power dial allowing you to choose different power levels.
Many advanced solo microwaves also have pre-programmed cooking presets for meals like jacket potatoes. They may also have things like automatic defrost.
Think about what you will use the microwave for and what features/cooking settings you would benefit from.
Ease of Cleaning
Lastly, how easy is the microwave to clean? The best microwaves have a ceramic interior with a bright interior light. This is easy to clean as you can simply wipe the ceramic surface with a damp cloth.
Look at the material of the microwave and see if it has any features that make it easier to clean. For example, the turntable may be removable, making it easy to clean under.
We hope our list of the best microwave in the UK was able to help you. A microwave oven is a must-have appliance in your kitchen in these modern times! It adds so much versatility to your cooking and means you can prepare and cook meals quickly if needed.
All of the best microwave reviews above are great options. Our top pick, however, is the Russell Hobbs RHM2076B. This 800 W microwave has a decent 20-litre capacity and versatile features. The microwave looks great with its stylish black finish. It also has a range of auto programs for cooking things like jacket potatoes and pizza. Lastly, this solo microwave is easy to clean with a removable, dishwasher-safe turntable.
Tom is a former chef turned full-time food blogger. He has always been passionate about food, and loves nothing more than experimenting in the kitchen and sharing his recipes with others. Tom’s blog is one of the most popular food blogs on the internet, and he has won numerous awards for his cooking. When he’s not blogging or cooking, Tom enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.