Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Can Openers
- Kenwood CAP70.A0WH (Editor’s Choice)
- Kitchen Mama Mini (Luxury Choice)
- OXO 28081 (Best Value)
- Culinare C10001 MagiCan (Best Manual)
- Morphy Richards Multifunction 46718 (Best Electric)
- KUHN RIKON Grey (Best With Auto Safety Lid Lifter)
- Lantana 2 in 1 (Best Safety Smooth Edge)
- KZGRIT Manual (Best With Non-Slip Handle)
- KitchenCraft 2-in-1 (Best Stainless Steel)
- Brabantia 121869 (Best 2 in 1)
Simple and useful are terms that best describe a can opener. While it’s not among the pricey kitchen tools, nor is it the most urgent to have, boy, it does make a difference. Yes, cans and bottles can be opened using a variety of kitchen tools, but it is much easier with a can opener.
The durability and effectiveness of can openers make it a must-have item. But shopping for one can be daunting. Well, if you’re looking for the best can opener in the UK, then you’re in the right place. We have compiled a top ten list and a buying guide to help you make an informed decision. Read on!
How We Compared Can Openers
To find the right can openers, we considered multiple factors, including:
- Manual or Electric
- Safety Features
Our team researched a wide range of products, comparing their features against the points above and meticulously fact-checking customer reviews. The following list is the result of a careful selection of can openers that would suit any kitchen enthusiast’s needs.
Discover more about our process here.
Can Opener Reviews
Handy and versatile are terms that best describe Kenwood CAP70.A0WH electric can opener. Not only does it boast of an automatic start and stop hands-free action. But it is also equipped with an integral knife sharpener and a bottle opener.
This is the best electric can opener that comes with a lid magnet, ensuring the safe disposal of the lid. Cleaning it is also a hassle-free task since it comes with removable parts. Safety-wise, this can opener from the Kenwood brand comes with a non-slip rubber base that prevents it from slipping when in use.
Moreover, it’s noteworthy to mention that this electric can opener can open cans of all shapes, from small to standard domestic cans up to 1.2kg cans.
- Features a hands-free action
- It comes with a magnetic lid holder
- A bottle opener and a knife sharpener is included
- It can be used to open all shapes of cans
- It has a removable blade
- The cutter blade may fail to pierce the can
- The magnetic lid holder may get corroded around the edges
- Some users may find this can opener to be quite noisy
This Kitchen Mama Mini is another high-quality electric can opener on our list. This can opener is ideal for weak grip or arthritis users with an easy one-touch operation. Also, It can be used by both left and right-handed users.
Its compact design and cordless feature make this opener easy to use and store in the kitchen drawer. Moreover, its petite design with comfortable, smooth edges allows it to fit easily on the palm of users with small hands.
That said, it’s worth mentioning that the battery-powered Kitchen Mama Mini can opener comes with an ultra-honed horizontal blade that cuts offers precise cutting without leaving sharp edges or contaminating the food inside.
On the flip side, some users may not sit well with this can opener since it lacks safe dishwasher parts. Also, it might not withstand the test of time.
- Ideal for ambidextrous users
- Features an easy-touch start/stop function
- Ensures minimal skin to food contact when removing the lid
- It comes in a compact design
- It leaves smooth edges on your tin
- The required AA batteries may not be included
- This can opener might not withstand the test of time
- It may not be suitable for large cans
Convenient and durable are words that best describe this manual opener from the OXO brand. Not only does it boast of a snap and lock feature, but it also comes with an ergonomic handle that has a comfy grip. And its oversized side wind makes it easy to grab while ensuring minimal finger strength is applied during the can opening process.
Moreover, it’s worth mentioning that the OXO 28081 manual can opener cuts on the side of the can instead of the top, which means that you are left with sharp edges on the can. And when done using it, you can simply pop it back into the kitchen drawer since the blade doesn’t come into contact with the contents inside the can.
With that in mind, if you’re looking for an excellent traditional opener that can sit well with your can opening needs, then the OXO 28081 manual can opener should be your go-to option.
- Features non-slip handles
- It has a release button
- It comes with a built-in bottle opener
- Suitable for people with limited strength
- Includes a snap-button
- This can opener might not be dishwasher safe
- It may not be suitable for left-hand users
- It may be prone to breakage
Are you looking for the best manual tin opener UK stores have to offer? If yes, then the Culinary C10001 MagiCan is an outstanding option.
With a simple design that combines a sturdy handle with maximum comfort and safety features, this can opener boasts a powerful stainless steel cutting blade that can be used on cans of different sizes.
Its lightweight and simple-to-turn nature allow one to securely clip it on the top lid for safe and easy removal.
However, this traditional can opener from the Culinare brand falls short when it comes to durability. Also, some may find it to be less effective since it might leave sharp edges around the can. And its cutting blade may at times slither around the cans lid instead of cutting it off.
- Features lid-release handles
- You can use this tin opener to cut cans of all sizes
- It comes with a clean slicing motion technology
- It has a sturdy grip
- Fitted with stainless steel cutting wheel
- This manual opener may leave sharp edges
- It may slither around the can than cutting effectively
- Some users may not sit well with the duration it takes to open cans
Are you in the market for the best electric can opener in the UK? If yes, then the Morphy Richards Multifunction 46718 is an excellent option.
Not only does this 6-in-1 multifunctional can opener incorporate an automatic jar and can opener. Its additional features include a multi-opening that can be used to pull a ring and open bottle tops. Or even open hard plastic packaging.
The Morphy Richards Multifunction 46718 comes in a modern design with inbuilt cord storage that allows it to sit neatly on any countertop or storage space.
Moreover, its smooth wipeable construction makes cleaning it child’s play. Also, its non-slip feet secures it firmly when in use.
That being said, this electric can opener falls short when it comes to durability since its plastic body might be prone to breakage. Also, its inner stainless steel parts might not be rust-resistant.
- Includes dishwasher safe parts
- It comes with a non-slip jar opening device
- It can be used to open rigid plastic packaging
- Features an in-built cord storage
- Includes a non-slip base
- The inner stainless steel parts might be prone to rust
- Finding spare blades may be pretty challenging for some users
- The plastic part may be prone to breakage
The KUHN RIKON Auto Safety LidLifter is another excellent option for the best can opener in the UK.
Not only does it boast of an innovative auto-attach mechanism that can automatically locate or grip the lid of standard tins or cans with no clamping required. But also, it can be used with persons who have hand mobility issues.
This premium can opener is built with safety in mind and comes in a sleek design that is sure to complement any kitchen counter it sits on. Moreover, the KUHN RIKON Auto Safety LidLifter maximizes hygiene since it does not come into contact with the content inside the tin.
On the flip side, some may find this tin opener to be quite challenging to use. Also, the auto safety lifter falls shorts when it comes to longevity.
- Equipped with an auto-attach mechanism
- Suitable for people with limited hand mobility issues
- Leaves no sharp edges on the lid
- Features a sleek modern design
- Has hands-free safe removal function
- Some users might find the can opener quite challenging to use
- The auto-safety lifter may not withstand the test of time
- Some users may find the instruction manual to be vague
Say goodbye to jagged can edges with the Lantana 2 in 1 can opener. Built with convenience in mind, this can opener features a cleaver and unique opening mechanism that eliminates any dangerous sharp edges on both the can and lid.
The Lantana 2 in 1 also boasts of an elegant and ergonomic design that is sure to complement any kitchen countertop it sits on. Moreover, it comes with a built-in bottle opener that can be used on all standard bottles.
Note that the cutting wheel of this can opener cuts through the seam of any can. And it ensures that the lid lifts snugly back on the can, allowing it to be used to cover any remaining contents in the can for later use.
Moreover, it comes with clear instructions and a quick start video, making it ideal for both professional and novice users. However, the lack of a built-in magnet on this can opener may not sit well with some users. Also, cleaning it may be challenging for some users since it lacks safe dishwasher parts.
- Offers safe disposal of cans
- Features a stylish and ergonomic design
- Leaves no sharp edges on the lid
- It is lightweight and comfortable to use
- Includes an instruction manual and quick start video
- This can opener may not be dishwasher safe
- The lack of a lid magnet may put off some users
- Some users may find the instruction manual to be too vague
Are you shopping for the best tin opener in the market? If yes, then the KZGRIT Manual should be your go-to option. It boasts of a comfortable ergonomic handle that provides a secure grip during the can opening process, making it the best can opener for elderly.
The KZGRIT Manual can opener is uniquely designed to separate the lid from the can, leaving behind a smooth edge. This can opener was built with functionality in mind and also features a bottle opener located on its top edge and typically fits into any standard-sized bottle.
Moreover, the can opener is equipped with a perfect assistive device that makes it ideal for people with a lack of hand strength or insufficient grip, as it allows one to turn the knob and cut the sturdiest can effortlessly. It’s worth mentioning that a pop-bottle opener function is included.
- Features a stainless steel construction
- Ideal for people with limited mobility
- Includes a pop-top bottle opener
- Made of high-quality material
- Has easy to hold handles
- Some users might find this manual opener quite complicated to attach at times
- The turning handle may be prone to breakage during use
- This opener may not be dishwasher friendly
This 2 in 1 stainless steel can opener from the KitchenCraft brand is an excellent addition to any kitchen, from opening bottles to cans. This can opener is fitted with a sharp stainless steel cutting blade that glides through the lid of the can, leaving you with smooth edges.
It also boasts of a large knob and curved handles that ensure the can opening process is a breeze. Moreover, it’s fitted with a built-in bottle cap remover for all your refreshing drinks. Cleaning it is also a hassle-free task since it can be hand-washed easily.
On the other hand, some users may find it to be less convenient since it tends to be somehow stiff during the can opening process. Also, its springs and bolts may become loose after some time of use.
- Features an integrated bottle opener
- It can be used for opening cans of different sizes
- It comes with a sharp cutting disc
- Includes a large knob
- It has comfortable, curved handles
- The springs and bolts may become loose after some time of use
- Some users may find it too stiff to use
- The hinge might be prone to rust
Lastly, on our can opener reviews is the Brabantia 121869 manual can opener. Bosting of a Brabantia classic opening system, this 2 in 1 opener is an excellent addition to any kitchen set-up.
Not only is it built with high-grade stainless steel material, but it also comes packed with safety features that ensure your can opening process is a breeze.
Ideal for opening all standard cans, the Brabantia 121869 can opener cuts smoothly around the lid without leaving any jagged edges behind. That being said, it’s worth mentioning that cleaning it is also a hassle-free task since it comes with safe dishwasher parts.
Moreover, it also features a sturdy handle and a hanging loop for convenient storage. On the flip side, the Brabantia 121869 can opener may not sit well with some users since it might not withstand the test of time. And its stainless steel parts may not be rust-resistant.
- Can open tins without leaving jagged edges
- Little effort is required when using this opener
- It has a sturdy plastic handle
- Includes an integrated bottle opener
- Hanging loop
- This tin opener is prone to breakage
- It may lack grip on the cans after some time of use
- This tin open may be prone to rust
What to Consider When Buying a Can Opener
Here are some of the essential factors you should consider when selecting the best can opener UK stores have to offer.
Manual or Electric
Before you begin shopping for your ideal can opener, it’s always advisable to consider the model that sits well with you. By this, we simply mean choosing between manual and electric can openers.
Note that an electric can opener sits well with individuals who lack hand strength or insufficient grip. Also, ensure you go for one that comes with an inbuilt magnet that can be used to hold on to the lid securely when it’s in use.
When selecting your ideal can opener, it’s always essential to consider the size it comes in. Manual openers usually are small in size, and they usually fit seamlessly in any utensil drawer.
On the other hand, an electric opener is typically larger, requiring enough counter or storage space. With that in mind, it’s worth mentioning that it still gets the job done effectively despite the size or type of a can opener.
Ease of Use
When shopping for can openers, you’re bound to come across different tin openers. Whether you prefer a battery-powered, manual or electric can opener, it’s always advisable to consider its ease of use.
For electric can openers, it’s always wise to go for an automatic model that can be operated using a simple lever before the cutting blade begins its task.
On the flip side, if you prefer manual can openers, you should always settle for one that is easy to use and features hands add-ons such as a magnetic lid holder.
Moreover, it’s noteworthy to mention that an electric can opener sits well with people who have arthritis. However, always go for one that comes with non-slip rubber feet for added protection.
When finished their job, the best tin openers tend to leave a relatively safe and smooth edge. However, note that the edges will still be sharp. So when selecting the best can opener, always go for one that sells the openers cut as a “safe edge.” Moreover, go for one that can be easily started and stopped once the can opening process is complete.
That’s it for our best can opener UK reviews. Hopefully, you will find the can opener that sits well with your can opening needs. But if we’re to pick an overall winner from our list above, we would go for our Editor’s choice, the Kenwood CAP70.A0WH electric can opener.
Not only does it boast an automatic start and stop hands-free action. But it also comes with an integral knife sharpener and a bottle opener. Its removable blade also makes cleaning it a hassle-free task. That said, it’s worth mentioning that you can use the Kenwood CAP70.A0WH electric can opener to open all shapes of cans, from small to standard-sized domestic cans and large cans up to 1.2kgs.
What do you think about our Editor’s choice? Would you go for it, or did you find another tin opener on the list that suits better your needs? Let us know what’s your favourite manual or electric can opener below!
Tom is a former chef turned full-time food blogger. He has always been passionate about food, and loves nothing more than experimenting in the kitchen and sharing his recipes with others. Tom’s blog is one of the most popular food blogs on the internet, and he has won numerous awards for his cooking. When he’s not blogging or cooking, Tom enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.