Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Knife Sharpeners
- Sharp Pebble Premium Sharpening Stones (Editor’s Choice)
- Chef’s Choice 0101500 Trizor XV (Luxury Choice)
- AnySharp With PowerGrip (Best Value)
- SHARPAL 191H Kitchen Chef (Best 3-Stage)
- Lantana Smart (Best Ergonomic)
- SHARPAL 101N 6-in-1 (Best Pocket)
- SHAN ZU 2-in-1 (Best Whetstone)
- Zulay Premium Quality (Best Basic)
- Work Sharp Precision Adjust (Best for Precision)
- Longzon Professional 4-Stage Manual (Best With Protection Gloves)
Knives are probably the most important tools in the kitchen. This is because, without them, you cannot complete any work. Food preparation requires cutting and peeling, and one of the most effective ways to do that is by using knives. In addition, knives make the kitchen work safer and faster.
However, cutting or chip with blunt blades is incredibly difficult and irritating. You have to put in more effort, and using blunt knives can also mangle food and make cooking a chore. Therefore, if you value your knives and want to keep them useful, you will benefit from our guide on the best knife sharpener in the UK.
This guide has selected ten products for your knife sharpening needs. These include both manual and electric sharpeners and also various whetstones.
How We Compared Knife Sharpeners
To find the right knife sharpeners, we considered multiple factors, including:
- Manual vs electric sharpeners
- Different grit levels
- Suitability to use with different knives and blades
- Size and weight
- Safety features
- Suitability for use on premium-quality kitchen knives
Our team researched a wide range of products, comparing their features against the points above and meticulously fact-checking customer reviews. The following list is the result of a careful selection of knife sharpeners that would suit any kitchen enthusiast’s needs.
Discover more about our process here.
Knife Sharpener Reviews
Our pick for the best kitchen knife sharpener is the Sharp Pebble Premium Sharpening Stone. This dual-sided whetstone has 3000/8000 grit, allowing you to sharpen knives to a high degree of accuracy and precision.
The whetstone is secured via a silicone grip that sits inside the bamboo base for safe operation: this means that the whetstone should not slip out of place when in use.
This product also comes with a simple flattening stone to make sure you are sharpening on a flat surface. We also like that this product can sharpen knives, hone steels, and polish blades. The whetstone is made from durable material and should be long lasting too.
The Sharp Pebble stone is an excellent product, but some may find it difficult to handle. Also, this is not a product for novice users and does require a little knowledge of knife sharpening beforehand.
- It comes with a high-quality non-slip bamboo case
- It also includes instructions and an eBook guide with tips and tricks
- The silicone base means the sharpener is safe to use
- It includes a whetstone and a flattening stone
- Made from premium materials for a quality sharpening process
- Some may find the sharpening stone difficult to handle
- It requires more skill and knowledge of knife sharpening
The Chef’s Choice 010500 is the best electric knife sharpener if you prefer the automatic approach.
You can achieve an excellent cutting edge using this product, and like most electric sharpeners, it allows you to get a blade angle of 15-degrees. This is much sharper than the traditional 20-degree angle of factory edges. Due to its ease of use and the product’s durability, this is one of the best knife sharpeners on the market.
This sharpening tool has superior diamond abrasives, which are great for hardened steel blades and Japanese knives. You can also use it on serrated blades and things like bread knives. For resharpening, the process takes just 10 seconds. Alternatively, it takes longer – up to 1 minute -for dull blades.
This electric sharpener is relatively loud, and there could be some strange noises during operation. Also, some customers have found their knife tips have broken.
- Has a three-stage sharpening process for the best results
- The first two stages are plated with coarse diamond plates
- Has an approximate sharpening time of 1 minute (for the first time)
- It can be used to create 15-degree Trizor edges
- The guide springs make these electric knife sharpeners easy to use
- You may notice some loud noises during the operation
- Some customers may have reported broken knife tips when using this sharpener
If you need a compact knife sharpener that can easily be stored and used for basic kitchen knives, the AnySharp Knife Sharpener With PowerGrip is a great option. This handheld device is incredibly compact and can easily be stored in your kitchen drawer.
It has a circular design, and at the bottom, it has a suction cup which means that you can attach it to your kitchen work surface and prevent potential accidents.
The top has a metal holder to place your kitchen knife in. Place it onto the sharpening blocks and manually pull the blade through. It offers a simple process, and the PowerGrip can exert a downward force of up to 12,000g.
We also like that You can use this knife sharpener to sharpen serrated edges and straight edges.
This is a great knife sharpening tool, but it is not perfect. It may not be suited for use on premium knives, and you might notice that the suction cup sometimes comes loose.
- Incredibly compact – can be held in the palm of your hand
- You can use it to sharpen and hone knives
- It can be used on straight blades and serrated blades
- It has a special power grip suction to stick to any surface for stability
- Relatively easy and quick to use
- It may not be suitable for use on expensive kitchen knives
- You may notice that the suction cup comes loose eventually
The SHARPAL 191H Kitchen Chef is our pick for the best manual knife sharpener. This is because it offers an excellent 3-stage process to create a razor-sharp edge on your knives and scissors.
This sharpening tool has a circular design, and at the top, it has three different blades to complete the three sharpening stages. This includes tungsten carbide plates and a pure ceramic blade.
The ceramic blade is used exclusively for serrated blades and polishing and honing your knives. The other two tungsten blades are excellent for sharpening flat-edge knives and scissors. We also like that this knife sharpener has a suction cup on the bottom so you can secure it to a work surface.
This is a great 3-stage knife sharpener, but it may not be the easiest to store due to its shape. Also, this may not be the quietest sharpener available.
- It can be used for honing steel, sharpening, and even sharpening scissors
- The abrasive sharpening materials have been extensively tested
- It can be used one-handed
- It has a suction cup on the bottom to stick to surfaces
- It offers a complete 3-stage sharpening process
- Some may find that it is not the easiest to store
- This handheld sharpener might be noisier compared to others
If you are not confident and have little experience using knife sharpeners, the Lantana Smart Knife Sharpener could be a great option.
This knife sharpener has an ergonomic design with a large handle to keep it stable. Also, it has a non-slip grip underneath to prevent potential accidents.
This manual knife sharpener offers a three-stage process. These include ceramic stone, tungsten plates, and diamond rods. As a result, you can use this device on various items, including hardened steel and straight or serrated knives.
To make sure you can use this knife sharpener easily, it comes with a full set of easy-to-read instructions too.
This is an excellent knife sharpener with a comfortable grip, but you should not use it with ceramic knives or scissors. Also, it is excellent at resharpening, but it may need a lot of work to sharpen a blunt knife.
- The ergonomic handle can be used both left and right-handed
- Small, compact, and portable design
- The base is made from non-slip material for better stability
- It can be used on both straight-edged knives and serrated knives
- Includes simple instructions and a demonstration video
- It may not be suitable for ceramic knives, scissors, or micro-serrated knives
- It may take quite a lot of work to sharpen dull blades
If you travel regularly and go camping, the SHARPAL 101N 6-in-1 pocket knife is one of the best knife sharpeners for you due to its versatility, compact size, and ease of use.
The six functions are – tungsten carbide plates to set a new edge, ceramic plates to hone edges, a tapered diamond rod for serrated blades, a diamond rod with groove for fishhook, a fire starter, and an emergency whistle.
This pocket sharpener is easy to use too, and we also like that it can easily fit in your pocket. It is perfect for camping or hunting adventures in the wild.
The SHARPAL 101N is an excellent pocket sharpener, but it may not be the easiest tool for left-handed people to use. Also, some find the firestarter stiff and difficult to pull out to use.
- It has six different functions, including an emergency whistle
- It also has a lanyard hole, so you can easily attach it to your clothing
- Ideal for outdoor use when camping or hunting
- Easy to use with a simple handheld operation
- The ceramic honing plates have passed rigorous testing
- It may not be as easy for left-handed people to use
- The firestarter might be stiff
The SHAN ZU 2-in-1 Sharpening Stone is a high-quality product that will appeal to those who want a manual process with fine control.
The whetstone is made from premium materials and is abrasion-resistant, corrosion-resistant, and heat-resistant. It is also dual-sided – one side offers a #1000 coarse setting for sharpening, while the other offers a #6000 fine grit for honing and polishing.
The whetstone also sits in a simple wooden holder for ease of use. It is secured in this holder via a silicone grip and should never slip while in use. We also like that it comes with a simple sharpening angle guide.
This sharpening stone is a solid product, but you may notice that it takes far longer to work than an electric sharpener. Also, it does not include a cleaning stone which many would find beneficial.
- It can be used with just water – no need for sharpening oil
- The sharpening stones are abrasion-resistant and corrosion-resistant
- Two gritstones for both sharpening and polishing
- It can be used to create a blade angle of 15-20 degrees
- Versatile knife sharpener and can be used with many blade types
- It might be longer to use than electric sharpeners
- It could benefit from the inclusion of a cleaning stone
Few sharpeners offer the simplicity and ease of use as the Zulay Premium Quality Knife Sharpener. This manual device has a sturdy metal base with a non-slip grip, and it also has a large handle to keep the sharpener steady.
It offers a two-stage sharpening process and has an easy operation. Place the knife into the sharpening slot at its tip and pull it back along the length of the blade. It can be used for resharpening and for improving dull edges.
We also like that this knife sharpener offers a quick process compared to most other manual sharpeners.
This is an excellent manual compact knife sharpener, but it could not be the most durable, and as a result, you may need to replace this product over time.
- Offers simple and effective two-stage knife sharpening
- Much quicker and easier than a manual sharpening stone
- It has a modern and sleek design
- It also has a large handle for a firm and stable grip
- It can be used to sharpen dull knives and for polishing
- It may not be the most durable knife sharpener
- It may not work well with scissors
Another excellent choice for the best knife sharpener in the UK is the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. This is for you if you require the greatest precision in your sharpening.
This tool has a vice and jig assembly: first, clamp your knife in place and use the adjuster to select the desired blade angle.
You then run the tri-abrasive rod along the blade in a smooth action. This will effectively sharpen the blade. The product is safer to use as you do not have to hold the blade.
This is excellent for precision sharpening, but it may not be the easiest tool to store. Also, it may not be great to sharpen small knives due to the size of the knife clamp.
- It is meant for precision sharpening to various angles
- It can be used on different knives, including hunting and kitchen
- You can adjust the sharpening angle from 15 to 30 degrees
- It makes manual sharpening much easier and quicker
- Durable and solid jig & clamp design
- It may not be easy to store due to its larger size
- It could be tricky to use with smaller knives
If you are a little nervous about using a knife sharpener, the Longzon is of the best knife sharpeners for you as it also comes with a set of protective gloves. These are cut protection gloves and should prevent any potential knicks and cuts.
This manual sharpener also has a four-stage process and can be used for sharpening, honing, and polishing. It is easy to use and benefits from a large handle and a non-slip grip on the underside.
This is a versatile tool, but it is not recommended for sharpening scissors. Also, you might notice that the ceramic sharpening blocks eventually might break.
- Includes a pair of cut protection gloves for safety
- The tungsten carbide plates should last for up to 3 years
- It has three sharpening processes – coarse, medium, and fine
- It also has a non-slip rubber base and ergonomic handle
- Relatively compact and easy to store
- It may not be suitable for sharpening scissors
- You may find that, eventually, the ceramic sharpener breaks
Choosing the Best Knife Sharpener – A Buying Guide
We understand that choosing the best knife sharpener UK stores offer is somewhat challenging. You can see from the above choices that there are many different styles available for your needs on the market, but to help make your life easier, we have created a simple buying guide below.
Whetstone vs Manual vs Electric Sharpeners
First, you must consider the type of knife sharpener you want. The three main types are whetstone, manual, and electric. Each has its pros and cons.
A whetstone is the most rudimentary type of sharpener available. It is essentially a block of abrasive material that you use to run your knife blades along. This is the most basic type of sharpening used for hundreds of years. Whetstones offer the greatest control and precision but require more skill and time to use.
Manual sharpeners are similar to whetstones but are usually easier to use. They may have blade guides and handles to get the required angle easily. Like whetstones, however, they do require more time to use.
Lastly, there are electric sharpeners. These are the easiest to use, and you have to insert the knife into the slot and turn it on. However, these knife sharpeners are generally far more expensive.
Suitability for Different Types of Knives and Blades
Next, you must consider what knives and kitchen equipment you have. What blades do you need to sharpen? Do you have serrated knives? Or maybe you also want to sharpen scissors? It is important to remember that not every knife sharpener can be used for all types of knives and blades.
Ease of Use and Safety
There can be a danger in any circumstance when handling knives and blades, but using knife sharpeners can be dangerous. As a result, you should consider the safety features. Some sharpeners include cut protection gloves, for example. Others have non-slip surfaces to reduce potential slips and injuries.
Suitability for Use on Premium Knives
Lastly, it is important to look at whether a knife sharpener is suitable to use with premium knives.
This is because some cheaper knife sharpeners may not give the desired flat surface or could even damage your blades. Look at the reviews and also see what level of grit is available. This should give you an idea of the blade’s performance and how fine you can sharpen your blades.
As you can see, the best knife sharpeners come in many styles and designs. These are highly useful tools to have in your kitchen, especially if you have high-quality Japanese knives or premium chef knives. You can keep your western knives and scissors ultra-sharp so that cutting and chopping in the kitchen remains easy.
Any of the above knife sharpeners are brilliant options. However, our pick for the best knife sharpener in the UK market is the Sharp Pebble Premium Sharpening Stones. These knife sharpeners offer the greatest control and satisfaction over the process. You can use the two-sided 3000/8000 grit whetstone for sharpening knives, honing steel, and improving the cutting edge of your blades. The stones are made from premium materials, and the bamboo holder makes for easy storage and usage.
What do you think of our list? Let us know your pick by leaving a comment below!
Tom is a former chef turned full-time food blogger. He has always been passionate about food, and loves nothing more than experimenting in the kitchen and sharing his recipes with others. Tom’s blog is one of the most popular food blogs on the internet, and he has won numerous awards for his cooking. When he’s not blogging or cooking, Tom enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.